One more MLA resigns from Puducherry Assembly
Puducherry: Ahead of the imminent April 13
Assembly Elections, T Thiagarajan, Parliamentary Secretary to
Puducherry Chief Minister V Vaithilingam, on Saturday resigned as a
nominated legislator in the Puducherry Assembly, the fourth
MLA to quit his post this year.
After submitting his letter of resignation to the
Secretary to the Legislative Assembly, Thiagarajan said the
Vaithilingam-led Congress government did not recognise him and
did not even associate him with any of the government
functions held in his native village of Kuruvinatham.
Asked if he would shift allegiance to any other party he
said, "for the present, I have not taken any decision about my
future course of action".
Thiagarajan is the fourth Puducherry legislator to quit his
post this year. Former chief minister N Rangasamy and the
government whip P Angalane had resigned as MLAs on January 20.
Rangasamy floated his political party All India NR Congress
(AINRC) on February 7. Angalane joined the Rangasamy-led party
the same day he quit his MLA post.
PMK legislator NG Panneerselvam (another nominated
member) also resigned from his membership of the House in the
last week of February and he, too, joined AINRC within hours
of quitting as MLA.
With Thiagarajan`s resignation, the number of nominated
legislators in the Puducherry Assembly has been reduced to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender