ONGC launches ultra-deep oil exploration in Ker-Konkan basin
Kochi: State-run Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) on Sunday launched its first ultra-deep sea oil exploration in the Kerala-Konkan basin with spudding operation being started at the site.
The project, expected to be completed in 100 days time, would cost Rs 400 crore, ONGC chairman and managing director RS Sharma told reporters here.
Sharma said the initial appraisal of the project has been "quite satisfactory".
ONGC, which began its exploration activities on the Kerala-Konkan offshore in 1977, has so far drilled 12 exploratory wells -- nine in shallow waters and three in deep waters. However, commercial hydrocarbon strike has eluded in spite of a few wells giving hydro carbon indications.
This is the first exploration in the ultra-deep waters of about 6,000 metres. There are three horizons – 3900 metres, 5,000 metres and 6,000 metres. The target was to reach
3,900 metres in 15-29 days time, Sharma said.
Exploration activities carried out in various blocks in the basin had now revealed new likely `hydrocarbon plays` in the basin, ONGC said in a statement.
The exploratory efforts conducted so far in the basin have not resulted in any discovery and hence no reserves have been established as yet, Sharma said.
The problem of non availability of rigs, which was felt globally since the past few years, had caused a "setback" for the drilling operations in the country, he said. ONGC has engaged a rig from Reliance for pursuing its deep water exploration activities in both East and West coast. The first well `KK4C-Fan A` on the Kerala-Konkan basin, is being drilled by this rig which will be then shifted to East coast for drilling of other wells.
"This is the first effort after two-and-a-half years we have a rig of this category and its operating cost is about Rs 4 crore per day," Sharma said, adding that it was the first time the company had deployed so expensive services.
The location of the well, `KKFC-Fan A`, is approximately 70 nautical miles off the Kochi coast.
A second well has also been identified in the Kerala-konkan area for drilling, Director (Exploration), DK Pande said.
A few ultra-deep wells had been dug in the north, but results were not good, he said. Shallow water exploration in Kerala had not been satisfactory, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’