ONGC subsidiary to be merged with OIL: AGP
Guwahati: Opposition Asom Gana Parishad on Saturday demanded that the proposed ONGC subsidiary - Assam Assets – to be amalgamated with Oil India Ltd (OIL) to make it a viable company.
Opposing the creation of a subsidiary within ONGC consisting of the oilfields in Assam, AGP General Secretary Sarbananda Sonwal said, "The proposed subsidiary should be merged with OIL."
Asserting the subsidiary creation proposal was discriminatory, Sonowal said, " The focus should instead be on increasing Assam Assets` production level."
Lack of management had caused ONGC to reduce its production to 1.1 million metric tonne per annum from 3 mmtpa in Assam Assets, he said.
Meanwhile, ONGC Onshore Director Ajit Hazarika told PTI that there was no proposal for separating Assam Assets from ONGC and that it was exclusively for Assam and would not be privatised.
All Assam Students Union (AASU) supported by Telpathar Sangram Samity (TSS) was protesting the move by the petroleum and natural gas ministry to demote ONGC-Assam Assets into a subsidiary of the oil major "in a calculated move towards privatisation".
AASU-sponsored 96-hour ONGC bandh ending on Friday against the subsidiary creation proposal had caused the public sector oil major to lose over Rs 10 crore and 500 tonne plus crude oil production, besides permanent damage to some of the oil wells, ONGC sources said.
Drilling operations and production in Rudrasagar, Geleky, Lakwa and other oilfields in the district had almost come to a halt during the bandh, sources said.
Stating drilling in the 22 oil rigs were halted due to the bandh, he said, all the wells had closed down and their condition was not known as to whether they had collapsed or were still functional.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM