Onion prices crash to Rs 5/kg
New Delhi: Wholesale onions rates fell to as low as Rs 5 per kg in the national capital Monday on the back of improved supply, but retail prices of the vegetable remained high at Rs 40 a kg.
Onions were being sold at Rs 5-20 per kg in Azadpur mandi -- Asia`s biggest wholesale fruit and vegetables market, traders said.
They added it will take a few days for the fall in prices to reflect in retail markets. The retail prices have been hovering at the level of Rs 40 a kg for the past four to five days
"There is no shortage in supply of onions in the Azadpur market now, as a result of which the price has gone down significantly," Delhi Agricultural Marketing Board chairman Brahm Yadav said, adding that crisis is fast dissipating.
Onion wholesale rates touched Rs 65/kg in the last week of December, moving consumers to tears. Retail prices had hit the roof at Rs 70-85 a kg at that time in Delhi and other metros.
Rising prices of onion and other vegetables like tomato had flared the food inflation up to a high of 18.32 percent for the week ended December 25.
The government, which faced criticism over high food prices, took various measures to rein in price rise, including removal of import duty on onion and a ban on exports of the commodity. The rate of price rise of food articles slipped to a level of 15.52 percent in the first week of January.
Onion prices have dropped in Lasalgaon and Pimpalgaon, the main onion markets at Nashik, the main producing area, as well.
Onions were available at Rs 13 a kg in Lasalgaon Monday, the National Horticultural Research Development Foundation (NHRDF) -- which publishes daily wholesale rates of the vegetable in prominent cities -- said.
Similarly, onion wholesale prices fell to Rs 14/kg at Pimpalgaon today, the NHRDF said.
The drop is significant as wholesale rates in these markets stood at Rs 17/kg and Rs 18/kg Monday.
The sharp fall in prices has, however, triggered another problem as onion farmers in Nashik, Maharashtra, Monday staged an agitation in front of the Lasalgaon Agriculture Produce Marketing Committee`s offices to protest low prices.
Rajendra Sharma, the General Secretary of the Onion Merchants Association in the Azadpur market said that wholesale prices of good quality onions are expected to fall to Rs 15/kg by the end of January and Rs 10/kg in February.
New Food Minister KV Thomas had said recently that onion prices will improve from end-January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India