Only 9 out of 24 coastal stations sanctioned: Kerala Home Minister
Kottayam: Refuting Union Home Minister P Chidambaram`s statement that 12 coastal police stations have been allocated for Kerala, state Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan on Saturday said only nine had been sanctioned against the state`s demand for 24 such stations.
Of these, one has already been opened at Neendakara in Kollam district, while coastal regulation laws had come in the way of constructing buildings for the other police stations in the past. However, a special concession in the law for Kerala in 2008 would see work on the buildings commencing this year itself, he said.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a regional awareness programme on `mediation in court cases` here, he claimed that only one of the 24 boats for police stations in coastal areas has been allotted.
Balakrishnan urged the Centre to extend more financial assistance towards setting up these coastal police stations.
The minister said the Centre had started concentrating on coastal areas only after the Mumbai attack. However, Kerala had started a special vigil in coastal areas even before that, he said.
Chidambaram at a press meet in New Delhi today blamed Kerala for not completing construction of police stations in coastal areas and praised Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu for completing the first part of security system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre