Opposition corners government over CWG
New Delhi: Opposition MPs in the Lok Sabha Friday demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh speak in the house on the Commonwealth Games scam and sought a debate under an adjournment motion.
The opposition cornered the government on the alleged scandals in activities related to the October Games and did not allow Urban Development Minister S. Jaipal Reddy to intervene during zero hour.
This led to heated exchanges between Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Congress MPs, with the latter arguing that Reddy had a right to intervene during the debate on a matter related to his ministry.
BJP and Janata Dal-United MPs, alleging a whopping scam in the Games construction, demanded a reply from Manmohan Singh. They trooped to the well of the house forcing the speaker to adjourn the house till 2 p.m.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal criticised the opposition for not allowing the minister to speak.
`It is unprecedented and against the spirit of parliamentary democracy,` Bansal told reporters later.
Earlier, Samajwadi Party MPs, led by Mulayam Singh Yadav, staged a walkout over the wrongdoings in the Commonwealth Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145