Orissa demands not ready for GST
Bhubaneswar: The Orissa government on Wednesday said it was not prepared to implement Goods and Services Tax from April 1 this year and has sought permission from the Centre to re-introduce Purchase Tax on foodgrain.
"We are not at all ready to go for GST system now. We have to make certain preparation before implementing it," finance minister P C Ghadai told reporters here and added that he would intimate the Empowerd Committee in this regard.
The minister would be attending the meeting of the Empowered Committee of the state finance ministers in New Delhi tomorrow.
The Orissa government, which collected about Rs 600 crore as Central Sales Tax at the rate of 2 per cent last fiscal,had got a Rs 324 crore compensation in 2008-09 from the Centre.
To a question, Ghadai said though the state along with others had agreed to go for GST system, Orissa would like the deadline to be extended till April 1, 2011.
The proposed tax will replace excise duty, service tax at the Central level and VAT at states level, besides cess, surcharges and local taxes.
"We will also make a presentation on the Revenue Neutral Rate for the state under GST," Ghadai said.
This apart, the finance minister said Orissa would also demand to have Purchase Tax foodgrain as in the OST (Orissa Sales Tax) regime.
"Since Punjab and Haryana have been allowed to continue with Purchase Tax on foodgrain, Orissa will demand in the same manner," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed