Orissa demands not ready for GST
Bhubaneswar: The Orissa government on Wednesday said it was not prepared to implement Goods and Services Tax from April 1 this year and has sought permission from the Centre to re-introduce Purchase Tax on foodgrain.
"We are not at all ready to go for GST system now. We have to make certain preparation before implementing it," finance minister P C Ghadai told reporters here and added that he would intimate the Empowerd Committee in this regard.
The minister would be attending the meeting of the Empowered Committee of the state finance ministers in New Delhi tomorrow.
The Orissa government, which collected about Rs 600 crore as Central Sales Tax at the rate of 2 per cent last fiscal,had got a Rs 324 crore compensation in 2008-09 from the Centre.
To a question, Ghadai said though the state along with others had agreed to go for GST system, Orissa would like the deadline to be extended till April 1, 2011.
The proposed tax will replace excise duty, service tax at the Central level and VAT at states level, besides cess, surcharges and local taxes.
"We will also make a presentation on the Revenue Neutral Rate for the state under GST," Ghadai said.
This apart, the finance minister said Orissa would also demand to have Purchase Tax foodgrain as in the OST (Orissa Sales Tax) regime.
"Since Punjab and Haryana have been allowed to continue with Purchase Tax on foodgrain, Orissa will demand in the same manner," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested