Osama neighbour in Abbottabad freed after questioning
Abbottabad: Pakistani security forces have
freed a man who lives in a small house opposite the main
entrance of the compound where Osama bin Laden was killed by
US forces, after questioning him, his son said on Saturday.
Shamraiz was detained shortly after Monday`s raid on a
compound near the Pakistan Military Academy that killed the al
His son Qasim Khan said his father telephoned him late
last night and told him that the army had freed him after
"My father is well but he did not talk much and just
said that his cell phone had been taken away by the army,"
He said that his father had gone to their ancestral
village rather than returning to their house in Bilal Town,
the suburb of Abbottabad where bin Laden`s compound is
Qasim said his father had been put under house arrest
and security men were guarding their ancestral home.
Earlier, Qasim and his grandfather had told
journalists that Shamraiz was taken away by Pakistani security
personnel hours after the US special forces conducted the raid
on the compound where bin Laden had lived for five years.
Bin Laden was killed with his son and two other men.
Shamraiz`s wife Nasim told reporters that they had
been living in the neighbourhood of bin Laden`s compound but
she never had any knowledge about the people inside.
She said that she had seen two brothers who lived in
the compound and they sometimes came out with some children.
"However, we never saw any women," Nasim said.
Qasim said the two brothers Tariq Khan and Arshad
Khan, believed to be al Qaeda couriers told them that they
belonged to Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
province, and Charsadda, another key town some 40 km from
They had a red Suzuki vehicle and no one in the area
knew anything about their profession, he said.
The prayer leader of the mosque in Bilal Town claimed
Shamraiz Khan had served as a guard at bin Laden`s compound
but Shamraiz`s family rejected this and said he was a farmer
who sometimes did other work for daily wages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray