Osama sons` for UN probe: Report
Washington: The adult sons of Osama bin
Laden on Wednesday denounced the "arbitrary killing" of their father
by the American forces and condemned his burial at the sea, as
they asked why the al Qaeda chief was "not arrested" and tried
in a court to reveal the truth.
Calling for UN investigations on the circumstances
of their father`s death, they accused the United States of
violating its basic legal principles by killing an unarmed
man, shooting his family members and disposing of his body in
the sea, the New York Times reported.
The report said the family was asking why the leader
of al Qaeda "was not arrested and tried in a court of law so
that truth is revealed to the people of the world."
"We maintain that arbitrary killing is not a solution
to political problems," the sons` statement said, adding that
"justice must be seen to be done."
The sons` statement called on the government of
Pakistan to hand over to family members the three wives and
several children of the terrorist now believed to be in
Pakistani custody and asked for a United Nations investigation
of the circumstances of their father`s death.
The statement, prepared at the direction of Omar bin
Laden, a son who had publicly denounced his father`s
terrorism, was provided to The New York Times by Jean Sasson,
an American author who helped the younger Bin Laden write a
2009 memoir, "Growing Up bin Laden."
A shorter, slightly different statement was posted on
a jihadist Web site Tuesday.
Omar bin Laden, 30, lived with his father in
Afghanistan until 1999, when he left with his mother, Najwa
bin Laden, who co-wrote the memoir.
In the book and other public statements, the younger
bin Laden denounced violence of all kinds, a stance he
repeated in the sons` statement to The Times. None of Osama
bin Laden`s sons other than Omar was named in the statement,
so it was unclear exactly who else had approved the message.
"We want to remind the world that Omar bin Laden, the
fourth-born son of our father, always disagreed with our
father regarding any violence and always sent messages to our
father, that he must change his ways and that no civilians
should be attacked under any circumstances," the statement
"Despite the difficulty of publicly disagreeing with
our father, he never hesitated to condemn any violent attacks
made by anyone, and expressed sorrow for the victims of any
and all attacks."
Condemning the shooting of one of the Qaeda leader`s
wives during the assault on May 2 in Abbottabad, Pakistan, the
statement added: "As he condemned our father, we now condemn
the president of the United States for ordering the execution
of unarmed men and women."
Citing the trials of Saddam Hussein and Slobodan
Milosevic, the statement questioned "the propriety of such
assassination where not only international law has been
blatantly violated," but the principles of presumption of
innocence and the right to a fair trial were ignored.
In addition to the statement, Sasson shared with The
Times notes on what Omar bin Laden, who declined to be
interviewed directly, has told her by phone in recent days.
The notes describe bin Laden`s struggle, as he came of age, to
understand and eventually reject his father`s embrace of
Omar bin Laden told Sasson the death of his father
"has affected this family in much the same way as many other
families in the past in the loss of a family member."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM