`Osama`s death 3rd biggest news of 21st century`
Washington: The killing of al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden by US special forces in Pakistan surpassed Britain`s much publicised Royal Wedding to be ranked as the third biggest news of the 21st century, according to a study.
A survey conducted by the Austin-based Global Language Monitor said Osama`s death news was placed at the third place behind the rise of China to first-tier nation status and the election of Barack Obama as the US President which are placed at 1st and 2nd spot respectively.
It said the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton on April 29 was ranked 5th, just ahead of the media blitz surrounding the 2009 sudden death of Michael Jackson.
The WikiLeaks revelations was ranked 4th whereas, Japan`s last month quake-tsunami disasters was at 8th and Arab revolutions at 9th place respectively.
There was no India-centric news among top 20.
The GLM used an algorithm to track citations of the biggest news stories on the top 750,000 world print and electronic media sites, as well as citations on the Internet, blogosphere, Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites.
"The acceleration of the news cycle has been a long-observed fact, however the acceleration of the news itself can also be viewed as unprecedented," said Paul JJ Payack, president and the Chief Word Analyst of GLM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark