Outsourcing: Need to watch US political scenario, says envoy
New Delhi: India needs to watch how the anti-
outsourcing sentiment evolves in the "new political scenario"
in the US, Ambassador to the US Meera Shankar said today.
"We have to see how national debate evolves in the new
political scenario, where you have a House going to the
Republicans, Senate being probably retained by Democrats and
to a different political scenario," she said while responding
to a query on the anti-outsourcing rhetoric in the US.
Shankar also said she does not want to predict or comment
on political developments in the US.
Regarding a question on whether outsourcing would be a
diversion during President Barack Obama`s visit this week,
Shankar said, "I think the relationship is one, where we
discuss issues which are of the interest to the two sides in a
spirit of candour and in the spirit of maturity..."
"I think that is the way we will discuss all the issues
of interest to both the sides," she added.
Recently, the state of Ohio had banned IT outsourcing.
Democrat and Ohio Governor Ted Strickland, who once wooed
Indian companies to invest in the state, justified the move,
asserting that outsourcing undermines economic development and
even has unacceptable business consequences for his state.
Moreover, Obama earlier this year announced that tax
benefits would be cut for American companies that ship jobs
Meanwhile, apex body Nasscom has said it will raise the
domestic IT industry`s concerns about the recent US visa fee
hike and rising anti-outsourcing measures during the American
President`s visit to India this week.
President Obama is scheduled to arrive in India on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sacked AAP minister claims threat to his life from Kejriwal and his men
- Massive traffic jam brings Gurugram to a standstill
- Are Indian journalists sympathising with terrorists like Burhan Wani?
- Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh arrested in Bihar
- Mumbai: Man crushed to death after tree falls on car
- Germany legend Bastian Schweinsteiger retires from international football
- Kajal Aggarwal grooves for a special song in 'Janatha Garage'
- Sonakshi Sinha looks kickass in new 'Akira' POSTER! See inside
- FDI inflows jump 53% in last two years, says FM Jaitley
- Don't want to be known as Dalit filmmaker: 'Kabali' director