Over 1000 evacuated in Saurashtra following torrential rains
Rajkot/Ahmedabad: At least 1,000 people were
evacuated from coastal regions of Saurashtra in Gujarat which
were lashed by heavy rains in the last 24 hours, prompting
authorities to deploy special forces for rescue and relief
operations, officials said on Friday.
In the rain-battered districts of Junagadh, Jamnagar and
Porbandar, several villages have been cut off from the main
land following disruption in transport services, they said.
"The situation is bad in Porbandar due to continuous
rainfall. We have pressed into service National Disaster
Relief Force (NDRF) units, specially trained for handling such
activities," state Relief Commissioner P Paneervel said.
He said state ministers - Vajubhai Vala, Anandiben Patel
- and officers of the Revenue Department will conduct an
aerial survey of the affected districts.
"We will then decide about further relief and rescue
operations," Paneervel said.
The Relief Commissioner said the situation has slightly
improved in Junagadh as rains have stopped since morning.
Meanwhile, water level of the Sardar Sarovar dam rose to
118 meters till last night, following heavy rains in its
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read