Over 400 Black Widow militants surrender in Assam
Guwahati: Over 400 militants of the Dima Halam Daogah (Jewel) formally laid down their arms before Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi at a function at Halflong in North Cachar Hill District on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti on Friday.
The DHD (J) a banned outfit under Unlawful Activity (Prevention) Act started surrendering weapons on September 15.
The surrendered militants included the commander of the outfit Niranjan Hojai, the deputy commander Debolal Garlosa, five self-styled lieutenants, 15-second lieutenants, 30 sergeant majors, 15 sergeants, 29 corporals and 67 lance corporals.
Expressing satisfaction over the steps taken by the DHD (J) to bring peace to the region, Gogoi said Congress - led Governments, both at the Centre and the State, are very much concerned about solving the long pending problems of the North Cachar Hill District.
Gogoi also promised to take immediate measures to rehabilitate surrendered cadres of the outfit.
He also declared a package of Rs 50 crore for immediate developmental activities in the hill district.
The DHD (J), which is also known as the Black Widow, also deposited 148 weapons including 76 AK series rifles besides 1130 assorted ammunitions, 10 kilograms of high explosives, 244 assorted magazines and 40 radio sets.
According to official sources, most of the surrendered cadres of the Black Widow are aged between 20 to 30.
Speaking on the occasion, the Commander of DHD(J) Niranjan Hojai urged the Gogoi to fulfil the demands of the outfit within a time-frame and expressed their willingness to work for peace and development in the hill district.
Earlier, in August, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had asked the banned DHD (J) to surrender weapons before September 15.
The DHD (J) is responsible for creating terror in the North Cachar Hill District of Assam for last six years, during which over 300 people have been killed.
According to the new rules for facilitating peace talks with the militant organisation, an outfit has to first abjure violence by depositing weapons and stay away from extortion by moving to designated camps. Only its top leadership will be allowed to sit for talks.
The government has adopted a multi-dimensional strategy in North Cachar Hills with strong deployment of security forces. Army’s brigade headquarters at Haflong has coordinating all the efforts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark