Over 8,000 nonagenarians to cast votes in HP polls
Shimla: 95-year-old Shyam Saran, who was among the first to vote after Independence in the 1951 polls, will be among 8,355 nonagenarian voters to exercise their franchise in Sunday’s Himachal Pradesh polls.
About 10,000 voters are above 89 years, including 1,642 90-year-old, while 1,09,115 voters fall in 18-19 age group and 11,54,162 voters are in the range of 30 to 39 years.
Hikkim polling station in Lahaul and Spiti Assembly Constituency with 344 voters is the highest polling station in the world, situated at a height of 14,567 feet while Udaipur booth of Chamba Assembly Constituency, situated at the minimum height of 288 feet has 592 electors.
Sullah Assembly Constituency has highest 89,293 electors in the state and Lahaul and Spiti assembly constituency had the minimum 22,344 electors in the state, Chief Electoral officer Narinder Chauhan said.
He further said that one auxiliary Polling station has been set up in Kasauli Assembly constituency of district Solan, where nine electors will cast their vote.
The `Ka` polling station of Kinnaur Assembly constituency has minimum 18 electors while Kasha Polling Station in Rampur Assembly constituency, located at maximum distance of 24 Km from the road head has 472 electors while the Badgaon Polling Station Jhanduta assembly segment in BIlaspur has maximum 1,378 electors.
Chauhan said that the state has 100 per cent Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) holders and 9,191 Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) would be used for voting including reserve EVMs.
The Elections Commission has also allowed the electors to cast their vote by producing any one document out of the 14 identity documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened