Pachauri, Amartya named among top thinkers
Washington: Noble laureates Rajendra
Kumar Pachauri and Amartya Sen, noted columnist C Raja Mohan
and environmentalist Sunita Narain are four Indians to figure
in the list of top 100 global thinkers for the year 2009, the
prestigious US Foreign Policy magazine said today.
Topping the list released by the influential
international affairs journal is US Federal Reserve Chairman
Ben Bernanke for staving off a `new Great Depression`,
followed by US President Barack Obama for reimagining
America’s role in the world.
Pachauri, who chairs the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel
on Climate Change, is ranked fifth for ending the debate
whether climate change matters. He was co-recipient of the
Nobel Peace Prize with former US vice president Al Gore in
"As the link between human activity and climate change
becomes conventional wisdom and governments work urgently to
establish a global climate treaty, Pachauri deserves no small
amount of credit for creating such an extraordinary shift in
public opinion," the Foreign Policy said.
Sen, the Noble Prize winner in economics in 1998, is
ranked 58 for showing how democracy prevents famine.
"Central to his thinking is the concept of
"capabilities" -- the idea that it is not just the
distribution of resources in a society that matters, but the
ability of its members to make informed choices about the use
of those resources and to punish leaders who fail them," it
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note