Package to rehabilitate jobless overseas Indian workers
New Delhi: The Centre will soon announce a comprehensive package to rehabilitate overseas Indian workers who have returned to the country following job losses due to the economic downturn.
Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi said Government was in the final stage of establishing a `Return and Resettlement Fund` that will provide "reasonable level of
financial security" to the overseas returnees.
"My Ministry is working towards establishing a fund that will provide financial security to those workers who have lost their jobs and returned home," Ravi said inaugurating the
two-day annual conference of the Heads of Missions here.
A senior official of the Ministry said the Indian workers in Gulf countries have been the worst hit by the economic downturn and the scheme will initially be limited to the
workers returning from these countries.
Although the government did not have an exact figure of the number of Indians who have come back home from the Gulf countries, officials said the number of returnees may be in the range of four to five lakh in the last one year.
Asking the Heads of Missions to take strong action to root out irregular migration, Ravi said the Ministry has constituted a high-level inter-ministerial core group to
develop effective measures to combat it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video