Package to rehabilitate jobless overseas Indian workers
New Delhi: The Centre will soon announce a comprehensive package to rehabilitate overseas Indian workers who have returned to the country following job losses due to the economic downturn.
Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi said Government was in the final stage of establishing a `Return and Resettlement Fund` that will provide "reasonable level of
financial security" to the overseas returnees.
"My Ministry is working towards establishing a fund that will provide financial security to those workers who have lost their jobs and returned home," Ravi said inaugurating the
two-day annual conference of the Heads of Missions here.
A senior official of the Ministry said the Indian workers in Gulf countries have been the worst hit by the economic downturn and the scheme will initially be limited to the
workers returning from these countries.
Although the government did not have an exact figure of the number of Indians who have come back home from the Gulf countries, officials said the number of returnees may be in the range of four to five lakh in the last one year.
Asking the Heads of Missions to take strong action to root out irregular migration, Ravi said the Ministry has constituted a high-level inter-ministerial core group to
develop effective measures to combat it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka