Paes-Bhupathi in finals of Miami ATP event
Miami (USA): Third seeds Leander Paes and
Mahesh Bhupathi saved a match point en route to a hard-fought
three-set win over Oliver Marach and Janko Tipsarevic to book
a berth in the finals of the Sony Ericsson Open tennis
tournament on Friday.
The third-seeded Indian pair won 6-3, 5-7, 11-9 to set up a
clash with second seeds Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor, who
defeated fourth seeded Jurgen Melzer and Philipp Petzschner
6-4, 6-1 in their semifinal match.
Bhupathi and Paes led 6-3 2-0 before Marach and
Tipsarevic turned things around to even the match at one set
"We let our lead slide. It got tight, down match point,
but Leander and I have been in the situation before and
continued to work for each point," Bhupathi conceded.
The Austrian-Serbian combination had a match point at 9-8
in the tie-break but lost the final three points to crash out.
The final is a rematch of the semifinal clash at the
Australian Open, in which Paes and Bhupathi were triumphant in
three grinding sets.
Paes, who won this event last year with Lukas Dlouhy,
said he is taking a relaxed approach to the finals.
"I just want to keep having fun, enjoy myself out there.
We`ve had some good results this year, so if we keep playing
like we have been all year, we should be fine," Paes said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof