Paes-Bhupathi storm into Australian Open semis
Melbourne: Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi are on course for their maiden Australian Open title together as they advanced to the semi-finals after a hard-fought victory over the combine of Michael Llodra of France and Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia here today.
The third seeded Indian pair, who teamed up together after nine years in a bid to add the only Grand Slam title missing in their cupboard, needed 91 minutes to beat Llodra and Zimonjic 6-4 6-4 in a quarterfinal match at Melbourne Park.
Llodra and Zimonjic had beaten the `Indo-Pak Express` pair of Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi in the pre-quarterfinals.
Paes and Bhupathi kept their mistakes to the minimum while their eight seeded opponents committed 13 unforced errors. The Indian duo had just five unforced errors which made a difference in the tie.
The Indians won more points from rallies as they found their opponents better in service. Llodra and Zimonjic had nine aces serving at fast speed while Paes and Bhupathi had just two.
Paes and Bhupathi will now meet the winner of the quarterfinal match between the Polish pair of Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski and the second seeded combine
of Max Mirnyi (Belarus) and Daniel Nestor (Canada).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'