`Pak detected US planes near border before Osama raid`
Islamabad: The Pakistan Air Force radars had detected six US aircraft flying close to the Afghanistan border before the US helicopters carrying commandos sneaked into the country to kill al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, a media report said on Monday.
The News International cited an initial probe report as saying that the Air Force radars at Peshawar and Risalpur were functioning normally on May 02, the day when heavily-armed US Navy SEALs stormed Osama`s Abbottabad mansion and killed him.
The US commandos flew into Abbottabad in stealth helicopters, one of which they had to blow up after it developed a snag.
The probe report said the movement of half-a-dozen aircraft was noticed near the Jalalabad border at 11 pm.
A US AWACS and five F-18 jets of the US "flew near the Pakistani border, but did not cross into the airspace of Pakistan", said the report.
A special investigation committee has been formed to look into the violation of its airspace by US helicopters which quietly entered the country and left after killing Osama.
The investigators will see how the forces were not aware about the presence of foreign helicopters.
The Committee will also try to find out whether the US aircraft, detected by the radars, were meant to divert the attention of Pakistani forces.
Headed by a group captain, the team has begun thoroughly checking the record of radars and questioning officials who were on duty at the time when the US helicopters came in.
"More such committees will be formed to unveil the facts about the Abbottabad operation," The News International quoted a source as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer