`Pak detected US planes near border before Osama raid`
Islamabad: The Pakistan Air Force radars had detected six US aircraft flying close to the Afghanistan border before the US helicopters carrying commandos sneaked into the country to kill al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, a media report said on Monday.
The News International cited an initial probe report as saying that the Air Force radars at Peshawar and Risalpur were functioning normally on May 02, the day when heavily-armed US Navy SEALs stormed Osama`s Abbottabad mansion and killed him.
The US commandos flew into Abbottabad in stealth helicopters, one of which they had to blow up after it developed a snag.
The probe report said the movement of half-a-dozen aircraft was noticed near the Jalalabad border at 11 pm.
A US AWACS and five F-18 jets of the US "flew near the Pakistani border, but did not cross into the airspace of Pakistan", said the report.
A special investigation committee has been formed to look into the violation of its airspace by US helicopters which quietly entered the country and left after killing Osama.
The investigators will see how the forces were not aware about the presence of foreign helicopters.
The Committee will also try to find out whether the US aircraft, detected by the radars, were meant to divert the attention of Pakistani forces.
Headed by a group captain, the team has begun thoroughly checking the record of radars and questioning officials who were on duty at the time when the US helicopters came in.
"More such committees will be formed to unveil the facts about the Abbottabad operation," The News International quoted a source as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered