Pak: Foreign TV channels banned from live coverage from Abbottabad
Islamabad: The Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) has barred all major foreign television channels from making live broadcasts from Abbottabad, five days after al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden was killed in a US raid there.
The Saudi-born terrorist, who had evaded capture for a decade, was killed in a top secret operation involving a small team of US Special Forces in Abbottabad, located 50 kilometres northeast of Islamabad and 150 kilometres east of Peshawar.
The PEMRA issued a restraining order in a statement released by the Press Information Department, accusing nine channels- including the BBC and CNN- of violating Section 30 of the PEMRA Act, reflecting the Pakistan government’s unease over the coverage of perceived failures of its intelligence agencies.
The move, which is likely to come under criticism on grounds of curbing press freedom, comes amid continuing interest at home and abroad in ‘Operation Geronimo’ by US Navy commandos that killed the world’s most wanted terrorist in Abbottabad.
The PEMRA has stopped “foreign satellite TV channels from illegal uplinking of signals and live covering (of) news from Abbottabad,” the Dawn quoted the statement, as saying.
“All foreign channels have been issued notices to show cause (about their alleged illegalities) and stop illegal activity immediately,” it added.
The PEMRA named the channels as Fox News, NBC News, CNN, CNS, IBN, BBC, Al-Jazeera, Voice of America (VOA) and Sky News.
However, representatives of several foreign electronic media organisations said that their crew were still in Abbottabad, and some said that their channels- like BBC, Al Jazeera, VOA and NBC- were not airing their news live from the spot.
A VOA official said that the notice seemed to be more aimed at earning fees, and that it should have been issued at least four days ago, rather than at a time when most channels were likely to close their operations in Abbottabad.
As a policy, VOA does not have live coverage and all its programmes are forwarded to their offices through Radio Pakistan, the officials said.
Some sources in the foreign electronic media alleged that the PEMRA seemed to have taken this action in haste against “well known channels”, contending that the list contained no unfamiliar name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'