Pak oust India from U-19 World Cup
Wellington: At a time when India and Pakistan are at loggerhead over the IPL-auction issue, the two teams, considered to be arch-rivals in the cricket fields, were taking each others in a far off land in New Zealand in a quarterfinal encounter of the ICC Under-19 World Cup quarterfinals here on Saturday.
Like any other India-Pakistan match, this match was well fought out. But at the end it was Pakistan colts who beat India Colts by 2 wickets in a thriller.
Needing 4 runs in the last overs with 3 wickets in hand, Pakistan lost a wicket, but Raza Hasan hit the third ball of the last over to the boundary to seal the match in their favour.
Chasing a competitive target of 115 for victory, Pakistan did not start well as they lost three wickets early.
Like India, most of the Pakistani batmen failed to deliver in a rain-curtailed 23-over-a-side match.
Only Ahsan Ali (30), Rameez Aziz (28), Hammad Azam (21) reached double figure marks as Indian bowlers kept a tight line and length throughout the whole match.
But the Pakistani tail-enders held their nerves to see them through in an encounter which was as competitive as any match between the two neighbouring countries.
The Indians also could not rise upto the occasion as they could score 114/9 in allotted 23 overs after early morning showers forced a delayed start of the match.
Mandeep Singh was the only saving grace for the Indian colts as he slammed a fine 40 off just 44 balls with two fours.
Harpreet Singh (14), captain Ashok Menaria (15), Manan Sharma (16) chipped in with some valuable contributions as the Indian boys posted a competitive total of 114 in allotted 23 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug