Pakistan overcome stiff resistance from Canada
Sangrur: Pakistan snuffed out a stiff challenge from formidable Canada with a hard-fought 47-38 win in their opening pool B match of the Rs 2.2 crore World Cup Kabaddi Punjab championships at War Heroes Memorial Stadium here today.
With their electrifying raids and steel-like grips by the
stoppers, Pakistan and Canada kept the spectators on the tips
of their chairs.
The first half was a neck-to-neck affairs as Pakistan
took a slender 23-21 lead.
However, on resumption, the Pakistan players who attended
a 60-day coaching camp in Lahore before coming to India for
the WCKP 2010, started asserting themselves more and clinched
the issue in their favour.
Pakistan raider Yaser Javed Gujjar raided 15 times and
touched the finish-line successfully on 14 occasions.
Pakistan stopper proved a stonewall on five occasions as
he did not allow the raiders to wriggle out of his tight
grips. Kamaljit Malsian was the outstanding raider for Canada.
Whenever he went for the raid, he won valuable points.
Out of 11 fast and powerful raids, Kamaljit won 11
Canadian stopper Madoke did not allow Pakistan raiders to
go back to gain points.
Earlier, in a pool A match, Italy proved too good for
Iran whom they outplayed their opponents in all departments of
Italy won 63-24 after gaining a 31-14 lead. Italy took a
10-5 lead early in the game and gradually increased the lead
to emerge winners with a handsome margin.
For Italy, Channa Kheeranwali was the outstanding raider
as he scored 12 points out of 12 raids.
Jinder Mariki gave a solid display in catching as he
denied the Italian raiders any point out of his five catches.
In the third match of the day England defeated Spain
47-28 after leading 23-16 at half time.
Malvinder Singh Pawar Mithapuria was the most
raider for England as he clinched 11 points out of his 13
England`s stopper Sandeep Singh out of his 13 tries, he
met with success 11 times to fashion England`s facile win.
For Spain, Daljit Tanpur obtained nine points out of 16
raids. Their main stopper was Sandhu Parsurampur who did not
permit England raiders to get any point out of his six
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'