Pakistan to pull out of Champions Trophy, Azlan Shah
New Delhi: Left with little option after the mass retirement of players and the sacking of selection panel following it`s dismal showing in the hockey World Cup, Pakistan might skip the inaugural AHF Champions Trophy and
Azlan Shah Cup to be held in Malaysia later this year.
Four-time champions Pakistan registered its worst-ever
performance in the World Cup, finishing last in the 12-team
competition which concluded here on Saturday.
Subsequently, the entire 18-member squad led by Zeeshan
Ashraf retired from international hockey taking moral
responsibility of the performance, while the Pakistan Hockey
Federation (PHF) has sacked the team management and the
selection committee chaired by Olympian Hassan Sardar.
Struggling to deal with these issues, sources within PHF
said chances were high that Pakistan might pull out of these
"Officials are contemplating the idea of pulling out as
they don`t have any other option. The decision over players
resignation is still pending and the new selection committee
has not yet been constituted. In these circumstances, it is
impossible to field a squad for the tournaments," a top PHF
The Asian Hockey Federation`s (AHF) Champions Trophy is
slated to be held in Ipoh, Malaysia from April 13-18 while the
Azlan Shah Cup will be held at the same venue from May 6-16.
PHF secretary and the team manager during the World Cup
Asif Bajwa has confirmed that the national federation was
thinking of giving these two tournaments a miss but a decision
on this matter would be taken later in the week.
"Nothing is finalised as of now but we might stay out of
the AHF Champions Trophy and Azlan Shah Cup. We will discuss a
whole range of issues in an important meeting this weekend and
a decision regarding our participation in these tournaments
will be taken in that," Bajwa told from Lahore.
Bajwa was of the view that Pakistan does not have
adequate replacements for these retired players.
"We have to take any decision very carefully. These
players have played well throughout the year and one cannot
ignore the fact. There is no doubt that we could not live upto
the expectations in the World Cup but there were some fitness
related issues behind that. I am going to elaborate all in my
report." he said
PHF president Qasim Zia, meanwhile, said that they have
asked the players to reconsider their "emotional" decision.
"Players decision to resign was an emotional one and we
have asked them to reconsider that. There are many talented
players in the team who will play for Pakistan in the
Commonwealth Games and Asian Games for sure," he said.
"We are going to constitute a new selection panel but it
will take at least three weeks time. We are waiting for
manager`s report on the World Cup," he said.
He also said that a decision on non-performing seniors
during the World Cup would be taken by the new selection
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks