Pakistan: Top commanders meet post Osama raid
Islamabad: Two days after US forces killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan`s north western city of Abbotabad, Pakistan military top brass held an emergency meeting on Wednesday.
During the meeting, Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said Pakistan’s role in the war against terrorism should not be doubted.
The Army’s top brass had gathered at the General Headquarters to discuss the situation in the light of al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden’s killing in Abbottabad by US troops.
During the meeting, Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) chief Lieutenant General Ahmad Shuja Pasha also gave a briefing regarding the security situation following the operation.
A new strategy on Pakistan’s security will also be devised in the next few days by the Corps Commanders, The Nation reports.
According to reports, Pakistani security officers once again closed off Abbottabad’s leafy suburb of Bilal Town on Tuesday, where Osama bin Laden and his family lived for up to five years, according to US authorities.
Intelligence officials sifted through the compound and General Kayani flew in to inspect the site.
Following the killing of bin Laden by US commandos in a raid on his sprawling villa, Washington revealed that Pakistan was kept in the dark to avoid tipping off the mastermind behind the September 11, 2001 attacks. Pakistan has described America`s covert operation to kill Osama as an "unauthorised unilateral action".
On Wednesday, Kayani urged the international community not to doubt Pakistan’s role in the war against terror.
Pakistan faced national embarrassment, a leading Islamabad newspaper said, in explaining how the world`s most-wanted man was able to live for years in the military garrison town of Abbottabad, just north of the capital.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday