Pargat to contest for Hockey India president’s post
New Delhi: Former India captain and Hockey Punjab secretary Pargat Singh on Friday announced his candidature for the post of Hockey India president and said he was confident of his victory in the much-awaited polls of the national federation to be held here on July 28.
Pargat will be contesting against interim president of Hockey India Vidaya Stokes, who was also the chief of the Indian Women’s Hockey Federation.
“Yes, I will be contesting for the post of Hockey India president and I am pretty confident that I will win,” Pargat told a news agency.
“You can win only if you play the game, by sitting outside you cannot think of victory,” he said.
Pargat will file his nomination tomorrow before the Returning Officer Justice R C Chopra.
The former India full back said he decided to contest the elections because he felt he can make a difference and improve the state of the national game, which is running without a democratically-elected set-up since 2008.
“Hockey has given so much to me and now it is my turn to give back my share to the game. I feel pity to see the present condition of hockey in India. Now the game is in doldrums,” Pargat said.
Hockey India had last month ratified the affiliations of 33 units, including four institutional boards, during its Special General Meeting. Earlier this week, Hockey India received a no-objection certificate from the Sports Ministry.
Hockey India polls had been postponed thrice in the past because of various reasons, which had even irked the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Sensex firms up 78 points in early trade on F&O expiry
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM