Pargat to contest for Hockey India president’s post
New Delhi: Former India captain and Hockey Punjab secretary Pargat Singh on Friday announced his candidature for the post of Hockey India president and said he was confident of his victory in the much-awaited polls of the national federation to be held here on July 28.
Pargat will be contesting against interim president of Hockey India Vidaya Stokes, who was also the chief of the Indian Women’s Hockey Federation.
“Yes, I will be contesting for the post of Hockey India president and I am pretty confident that I will win,” Pargat told a news agency.
“You can win only if you play the game, by sitting outside you cannot think of victory,” he said.
Pargat will file his nomination tomorrow before the Returning Officer Justice R C Chopra.
The former India full back said he decided to contest the elections because he felt he can make a difference and improve the state of the national game, which is running without a democratically-elected set-up since 2008.
“Hockey has given so much to me and now it is my turn to give back my share to the game. I feel pity to see the present condition of hockey in India. Now the game is in doldrums,” Pargat said.
Hockey India had last month ratified the affiliations of 33 units, including four institutional boards, during its Special General Meeting. Earlier this week, Hockey India received a no-objection certificate from the Sports Ministry.
Hockey India polls had been postponed thrice in the past because of various reasons, which had even irked the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal