Parks housing statues of Maya, poll symbol closed
Lucknow: Hours after the work of draping the
statues of UP Chief Minister Mayawati and BSP election symbol
elephant was completed, the parks in which they were installed
here have been closed for the public till the assembly polls
There are nine such parks including Manyavar Kanshiramj
Green Eco Garden at VIP Road, Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Samajik
Parivartan Sthal, Gomtinagar and Smriti Upvan, Ashiana
Kanshiram Smarak, Jail Road which were closed yesterday after
the draping work finished.
While the Lucknow Development Authority refused to
comment, staff in these parks said that they have been closed
till the polls are over.
Dedicated to Dalit icons and built at an estimated cost
of Rs 3,500 crore, these parks were thrown open for the public
in October, 2011.
While the statues of Mayawati have been covered at all
places with ply-boards, giant elephants have been covered with
The statues of elephants atop pillars were left uncovered
at all memorials.
The EC had on Saturday last issued orders to cover all
statues of Mayawati and the BSP poll symbol at various parks
and memorials in Lucknow and Gautam Buddha Nagar (Noida).
While fixing January 11 as the deadline, the EC had asked
the District Electoral Officers-cum-district magistrates of
the two places to send a compliance report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday