Partial relief for Sikkim, NH-31 blockade relaxed
Gangtok: In a partial relief, the Gorkha
Janmukti Morcha (GJM) Saturday morning relaxed for 12 hours its
indefinite blockade of the National Highway 31A to allow the
vehicles bearing Sikkim number plates to ply on the sole road
link between the Himalayan state and Siligudi.
As many as 300 vehicles bearing Sikkim number plates
has passed through the inter-state check post at Rangpo since
6.00 am, a police official said here.
The GJM activists were, however, not letting the vehicles
bearing West Bengal number plates to run on about 60-km
stretch of the highway even during the relaxation hours due to
political reasons, the official said.
"We will continue to give such concessions to Sikkim in
future also to ease the difficulties of the people of the
border state," GJM leaders said.
Meanwhile, hundreds of trucks carrying the essential
supplies, including vegetables, have left Siliguri for various
destinations in Sikkim to meet the requirements of the people
there when the NH-31A blockade resumes this evening, officials
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!