Partial relief for Sikkim, NH-31 blockade relaxed
Gangtok: In a partial relief, the Gorkha
Janmukti Morcha (GJM) Saturday morning relaxed for 12 hours its
indefinite blockade of the National Highway 31A to allow the
vehicles bearing Sikkim number plates to ply on the sole road
link between the Himalayan state and Siligudi.
As many as 300 vehicles bearing Sikkim number plates
has passed through the inter-state check post at Rangpo since
6.00 am, a police official said here.
The GJM activists were, however, not letting the vehicles
bearing West Bengal number plates to run on about 60-km
stretch of the highway even during the relaxation hours due to
political reasons, the official said.
"We will continue to give such concessions to Sikkim in
future also to ease the difficulties of the people of the
border state," GJM leaders said.
Meanwhile, hundreds of trucks carrying the essential
supplies, including vegetables, have left Siliguri for various
destinations in Sikkim to meet the requirements of the people
there when the NH-31A blockade resumes this evening, officials
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh