Partial relief for Sikkim, NH-31 blockade relaxed
Gangtok: In a partial relief, the Gorkha
Janmukti Morcha (GJM) Saturday morning relaxed for 12 hours its
indefinite blockade of the National Highway 31A to allow the
vehicles bearing Sikkim number plates to ply on the sole road
link between the Himalayan state and Siligudi.
As many as 300 vehicles bearing Sikkim number plates
has passed through the inter-state check post at Rangpo since
6.00 am, a police official said here.
The GJM activists were, however, not letting the vehicles
bearing West Bengal number plates to run on about 60-km
stretch of the highway even during the relaxation hours due to
political reasons, the official said.
"We will continue to give such concessions to Sikkim in
future also to ease the difficulties of the people of the
border state," GJM leaders said.
Meanwhile, hundreds of trucks carrying the essential
supplies, including vegetables, have left Siliguri for various
destinations in Sikkim to meet the requirements of the people
there when the NH-31A blockade resumes this evening, officials
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note