Pathania fires super 63 to break course record at Haryana Open
Panchkula: Mandeo Singh Pathania fired a blistering nine under 63 to break the course record and establish a comfortable three-stroke lead on day two of the Haryana Open 2009 at the Panchkula Golf Club.
The 26-year-old from Greater Noida totaled 11 under 133 after two rounds to steal the show. Local lad Harendra Gupta is placed second at eight under 136.
The cut was declared at five over 149 as fifty-three professionals and one amateur made the cut.
Pathania (70, 63) broke Vijay Kumar`s six-month-old course record of eight under 64 with his monstrous drives and steady putting. Pathania, who is currently 28th on the Aircel-PGTI Order of Merit with one top-10 from 13 starts, had an eagle, eight birdies and a bogey on his card at the end of the day.
Pathania was in sublime form in round two and hardly missed a fairway or a putt. He made birdie-bogey on the second and third and then began to work his way up the leaderboard with birdies on the sixth and eighth. His drive found the greenside bunker on the sixth as he chipped it to within two inches of the cup from the bunker.
He made birdie-eagle on the 10th and 11th to be five under after 11 holes. His incredible drive on the 292-yard par four 11th came up just two feet short of the pin to set up an easy eagle. He was equally hot with the putter as he holed 10 footers for birdies on the 13th, 14th, 15th. On the 16th, Pathania hit his second shot from 30 yards to within one foot for yet another birdie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers