`Pawar will be ready to be PM if there`s consensus`
New Delhi: NCP chief Sharad Pawar will be certainly ready to become the Prime Minister if there is situation where there is a consensus on the issue, his party leader and Union Minister Praful Patel has said.
"And this gossip of merger with Congress, which happens many times, that is never possible," Patel said in an interview to Prabhu Chawla on a television programme.
"If there is a situation where there is consensus on the issue, then why not Prabhuji, Sharad Pawarji will be certainly ready (to become Prime Minister)," he said, adding, "But I think to talk like this now is basically wrong."
Noting that Pawar will remain the President of NCP and that the reins of the party will be with him even if he did not contest elections, Patel said Pawar will be NCP`s candidate for the post of Prime Minister.
Asked if he was willing to work under Rahul Gandhi if UPA is in majority after the general elections, Patel said, "Certainly."
To a question that he and Pawar would both be willing to work under Rahul, the Minister for Heavy Industries said, "Who will take decisions (speaking of Congress-led UPA) is not the issue.
"The government runs on the basis of the largest party, Congress is the largest party in UPA and it does not seem that in future they won`t be the largest party," Patel said.
He also said there is a similarity between NDA and UPA as far as foreign policy, economic policy are concerned. "This does not mean we are comparing NDA and UPA," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users