PC, CEC urged to avoid poll date clash with National Games
Ranchi: The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has requested Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and Chief Election Commissioner Naveen Chawla not to schedule the Jharkhand assembly polls with the 33rd National Games which the state is hosting later this year.
“IOA President Suresh Kalmadi has written letters to the union home minister and the CEC requesting them that if they are to announce dates for elections in the state it should be after the Games scheduled to be held between November 21 and December 5,” Organising Secretary of the National Games Organising Committee (NGOC), S M Hashmi, said in a release here.
Kalmadi, he added, informed them that dates for the Games was fixed much earlier, keeping in mind next year’s Commonwealth Games.
“In a way the National Games is considered as a test event before the Commonwealth Games,” the release said.
The NGOC, which attributed to political instability for postponing the games for four times in the past, would like to complete the games on the scheduled dates this time.
Jharkhand, which is under President’s Rule now, is expecting elections any month before the Assembly’s term ends in March next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks