PC mourns death of 26/11 martyrs; petrol pumps allotted to kin
Mumbai: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Thursday mourned the death of 26/11 martyrs and assured that the Centre would do everything possible to help their families.
"Eighteen families suffered great loss. The Petroleum Ministry is making a small gesture by handing over the dealerships," Chidambaram said at a function held at the Sahyadri Guest House to hand over papers of petrol pumps allotted to families of the slain personnel.
"The magnitude of the sacrifice is supreme. The nation is proud of them. We are proud of you. We mourn your loss. We stand by you and we should help you in every possible manner,” Chidambaram said while referring to the victims` families.
Chidambaram made these remarks shortly after inaugurating a memorial in memory of the 18 police officers, who laid their lives while fighting the attackers.
The Home Minister, in his brief and emotional remark, also urged the state governments and the respective Chief Ministers to expedite the relief announced to the victims’ families.
The memorial, erected at the Police Gymkhana at Marine Drive, is dedicated to Mumbai city.
Earlier, at the same function Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Murli Deora formally distributed papers for petrol pumps allotted to families of martyrs. The Petroleum Minister had earlier announced that petrol pump, LPG, kerosene or CNG dealerships would be offered to the families of the security personnel who died while fighting the terrorists who stormed three locations in Mumbai on November 26.
The petrol pumps have been allotted to the families of five police officers including Ashok Kamte.
These agencies have been offered on the lines of those provided to the martyrs of Operation Vijay in Kargil and the Parliament attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened