P`cherry declared `natural calamity affected area`
Puducherry: The Puducherry government has
declared the entire union territory a natural calamity
affected area in the wake of the devastation wrought by the
Thane cyclone on December 30 last, which left seven persons
The Department of Revenue and Disaster Management
notification issued on Jan 3 and published in the State
Gazette said the entire region has been declared a natural
calamity affected area.
The notification was issued by Special Secretary Dr SB
Deepak Kumar under the order of the Lt Governor.
The government has estimated the total damage caused by the
cyclone at Rs 2,000 crore.
Cuddalore and Puducherry were the worst-affected by the
cyclonic storm which crossed the coast on December 30, leaving
in its wake a trail of destruction and claiming 46 lives.
Cuddalore alone accounted for 39 deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'