P`cherry declared `natural calamity affected area`
Puducherry: The Puducherry government has
declared the entire union territory a natural calamity
affected area in the wake of the devastation wrought by the
Thane cyclone on December 30 last, which left seven persons
The Department of Revenue and Disaster Management
notification issued on Jan 3 and published in the State
Gazette said the entire region has been declared a natural
calamity affected area.
The notification was issued by Special Secretary Dr SB
Deepak Kumar under the order of the Lt Governor.
The government has estimated the total damage caused by the
cyclone at Rs 2,000 crore.
Cuddalore and Puducherry were the worst-affected by the
cyclonic storm which crossed the coast on December 30, leaving
in its wake a trail of destruction and claiming 46 lives.
Cuddalore alone accounted for 39 deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid