PCI forms 4-member committee to check paid news in Guj polls
New Delhi: The Press Council of India has formed a four-member committee to investigate the practice of paid news and keep a tab on any other attempt to affect the freedom of the press during the elections in Gujarat.
"Since the Gujarat Legislative Assembly elections are shortly to take place, I am here by appointing a committee of four members of the Press Council of India who are requested to visit Gujarat soon and make an extensive tour of the whole state, and after thorough investigation, report to me about any incidents of paid news or any kind of violation of press freedom, overt or covert, direct or indirect, in connection with the Gujarat elections," PCI chairperson Justice Markandey Katju said here.
The members of the committee are Rajeev Ranjan Nag (convener), Kalyan Baruah, Sandeep Shankar and Neeraj Bajpai.
The convener of the committee is authorised to appoint sub-committees and distribute work among the members in any manner he deems fit, the statement added.
Explaining its reason to form the committee, the PCI said that the Election Commission has detected a large number of cases of paid news in the recent Himachal Pradesh Assembly elections.
Paid news can result in cancellation of an election result, and the election result of one person declared elected in the UP Legislative Assembly elections was cancelled on this ground, the PCI statement added.
Gujarat goes to polls on December 13 and 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof