People are making mockery of award: Harendra
New Delhi: Former national hockey coach Harendra Singh is furious after learning that his name is not in the nomination list for the Dronacharya award and believes that people are making a "mockery of the award".
According to reliable sources, another former national coach Rajinder Singh Junior`s name has been shortlisted for the Dronacharya award and this has irked Harendra no ends.
"I am very upset after learning that it`s Rajinder Junior whose name has been shortlisted for Dronacharya. I am shocked and have no words to express my disappointment," Harendra said.
Harendra has been the assistant coach to Jose Brasa during India`s silver winning Commonwealth Games campaign.
Also Harendra has had a better stint than Rajinder Junior who was the coach in 2005-06.
Even in the hockey fraternity, people are talking in hush-hush tones about the credibility of Rajinder junior.
"Just compare my record with Rajinder Junior and decide yourself as to who is more deserving. I believe those associated with the awards panel are making a mockery of the system. They are making this prestigious award look trivial by honouring non-deserving sportspersons," fumed Harendra.
The former coach believes that Sports Minister Ajay Maken has the right intentions but he needs to set his house in order.
"Mr Maken speaks about cleaning up sports. He has honest intentions but he also needs to do a clean-up job in his ministry. I believe the panel who have entrusted with selecting the candidates are filled with `Yes-men`. Get the chamchas (Sycophants) out otherwise things will go from bad to worse," Harendra said.
He said people like Dhanraj Pillay or Joaquim Carvalho are never kept in the Dronacharya panel but all those sportspersons with questionable credibility, who are ready to pay heed to whatever the men in power instruct.
"People like Dhanraj, Carvalho don`t mince words. They believe in talking straight and that`s why they are not in the panel."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah