People preferring diamonds to gold
Kolkata: People in Kolkata are inclining towards buying diamond jewellery because of sky rocketing prices of gold jewellery.
Gold spot price surged to 1,195 dollars on Friday as the dollar saw its biggest fall in 15 months.
“As you know that gold price has hiked a lot so I think that the diamond collection will be more affordable to us because if I buy something around 2-3 lakhs rupees, I will get a better set in diamond rather than in gold,” said Priyanka Chowdhury, a customer.
“I feel diamond is more affordable now. I also see diamond as a nice investment. So I think it is more profitable to buy a diamond now," she added.
Dwaipayan Sen, of Tanishq jewellery brand, said that the reason behind customers preferring diamond jewellery instead of gold is narrowing price difference between the two.
“Due to the increased gold rate, many people have to think twice now for buying jewellery. With the increase in gold rate, the prices compared to diamond are slowly reducing,” said Dwaipayan Sen, Regional Business Manager, Tanishq Jewellery.
“Earlier one standard diamond necklace which is costing today around 25,000-30,000 rupees, if we compare with a plain gold jewellery also, plain gold starts in 20,000-25,000 rupees. So the difference earlier which was much more bigger, today it has come very closer to that.”
The most traded December gold contract was trading at 17,486 rupees per 10 grams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday