`Perpetrators of 26/11 failed to destroy spirit of Mumbai`
Mumbai: Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata on Thursday said the perpetrators of the 26/11 terror strikes had failed in their attempt to kill the spirit of Mumbai and the people of the city had only risen stronger thereafter.
"We have risen again stronger and with greater spirit
than we ever had. So let us remember the day of infamy, if I
may say so, that happened a year ago, and let us go on and say that the attack did not succeed. It only made us stronger,"
Tata said in his address to guests, employees and families of
victims at the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower hotel here.
He was addressing the gathering after unveiling a
12-foot high memorial, engraved with names of the 31 employees and guests slain by Pakistani gunmen in the three-day long siege.
"Those who have done this deed, did it, I believe in
the belief that they were destroying the spirit of the city of
Mumbai. They did so because they thought the city was a soft
target and to demoralise us and knock us down. But they were
very wrong," the 71-year old patriarch of Tata group said.
An emotionally choked Tata said the management
remained guessing as to amount of damage the gunmen had caused as they stood watching the 106-year old hotel burn.
"But we made a commitment that brick-by-brick,
stone-by-stone, we will rebuild the Taj to the glory that it
was. And that commitment still stands," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!