Peru defeat Mexico 1-0 with late goal
Mendoza: Paolo Guerrero scored in the 83rd minute to give Peru a well-earned 1-0 victory over
Mexico in the Copa America here.
After a lifeless first half, Peru had a half-dozen clear scoring chances in the second half hitting the post twice before Guerrero broke through against outstanding Mexico goalkeeper Luis Michel.
Chile and Peru each have 4 points to lead Group C after two matches. Uruguay, which drew 1-1 against Chile earlier on Friday, has 2 and Mexico has 0 points.
In the final group matches, Chile faces Peru and Uruguay plays Mexico. Mexico and Costa Rica are playing mostly under-23 players in the tournament, as guest entries from the CONCACAF region.
The top two teams in each of the three groups advance to the quarterfinal. In addition, the best two third-place teams advance.
Peru was frustrated by a series of missed opportunities before Guerrero finally broke through, taking a through-ball and calmly driving it into the open side of the net.
Guerrero had missed a wide-open header in the 50th, the best early chance for either team in the match. His diving header flashed wide.
In the 59th, Juan Vargas hit the far post. Minutes later, Guerrero drove the ball over the crossbar. With the match still scoreless, Vargas hit the post again. As well as the woodwork, Mexico relied upon Michel to keep the game goalless, with the keeper making several diving saves.
Mexico came close to opening the scoring in the 79th minute when Giovani Dos Santos forced keeper Raul Fernandez to make a diving save.
The match was played in a nearly empty stadium, which had been full for the earlier game between neighboring Chile and Uruguay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter