Peru desperate to make 2014 World Cup
Mendoza: Peru coach Sergio Markarian, delighted to see his men all but through to the Copa America quarter-finals, said Saturday he would be even more satisfied if they could reach the next World Cup.
The Blanquirroja`s opening draw against Uruguay and Friday`s win over Mexico have the two-times champions riding high on four points, joint Group C leaders with Chile.
But Markarian, a Uruguayan, says they must use the Copa as a springboard to a solid World Cup in Brazil in 2014 having missed the last edition in South Afrcia after a disastrous qualifying campaign.
"The promised land is Brazil and I will only feel satisfied if we get to the finals," Markarian insisted.
The Peruvians last reached a World Cup in 1982, hence the need to concentrate on raising their sights for the next edition as it comes to South America for the first time since Argentina in 1978.
Markarian, who led Paraguay at the 2002 finals, insisted that the Copa had to be a secondary priority.
"If we turn in a good Copa showing that will not resolve anything," he added, with regard to a gruelling World Cup qualifying campaign.
Referring to the win over the Mexicans, who sent a young side to the competition, Markarian said "you don`t progress simply by winning one game".
In the shorter term Markarian will hope to steer the `Incas` to top spot in the group by winning their Pacific `clasico` with the Chileans in Mendoza on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot