Peru desperate to make 2014 World Cup
Mendoza: Peru coach Sergio Markarian, delighted to see his men all but through to the Copa America quarter-finals, said Saturday he would be even more satisfied if they could reach the next World Cup.
The Blanquirroja`s opening draw against Uruguay and Friday`s win over Mexico have the two-times champions riding high on four points, joint Group C leaders with Chile.
But Markarian, a Uruguayan, says they must use the Copa as a springboard to a solid World Cup in Brazil in 2014 having missed the last edition in South Afrcia after a disastrous qualifying campaign.
"The promised land is Brazil and I will only feel satisfied if we get to the finals," Markarian insisted.
The Peruvians last reached a World Cup in 1982, hence the need to concentrate on raising their sights for the next edition as it comes to South America for the first time since Argentina in 1978.
Markarian, who led Paraguay at the 2002 finals, insisted that the Copa had to be a secondary priority.
"If we turn in a good Copa showing that will not resolve anything," he added, with regard to a gruelling World Cup qualifying campaign.
Referring to the win over the Mexicans, who sent a young side to the competition, Markarian said "you don`t progress simply by winning one game".
In the shorter term Markarian will hope to steer the `Incas` to top spot in the group by winning their Pacific `clasico` with the Chileans in Mendoza on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday