Peru shock Colombia to reach Copa semis
Cordoba, Argentina: Peru shocked favoured Colombia on Saturday to reach the semi-finals of the Copa America with a 2-0 win in extra-time and will face Uruguay for a place in the final.
Colombia had won their group at the expense of hosts Argentina and, with highly-rated striker Radamel Falcao in their ranks, were expected to reach the semis against a side which just sneaked into the second phase as a third-placed pool finisher.
But Falcao was left kicking himself after the Porto forward missed a penalty in normal time for the 2001 champions.
Peru have not won the event since 1975, while they last appeared in the semis in 1997, but they battled hard to take the game into the extra half-hour.
Carlos Lobaton smashed home the opener 11 minutes into extra-time and six minutes into the second extra period Juan Vargas drove in a left-foot shot to clinch a famous win.
Peru coach Sergio Markarian gave his players credit for a fine - if somewhat unexpected - victory.
"I salute them because they applied themselves really well. They showed great tactical discipline, were committed and made a great effort," said Markarian, who took over a side which came rock bottom of the South American World Cup qualifying group.
Paolo Guerrero returned in attack for Peru after serving a suspension against Chile, but it was the Colombians who made the brighter start.
They were scratching their heads as to how they did not win over 90 minutes as, quite aside from Falcao`s wretched luck with his spotkick just wide, Dayro Moreno hit the post and Fredy Guarin the bar.
Peru did have their chances in normal time, a Vargas shot repulsed by Colombian keeper Luis Martinez, who then had to be alert after the break to save well with his fingertips from William Chiroque.
But it was a Martinez error which helped break the deadlock as he fumbled an attempted punched clearance and Lobaton reacted in a flash to blast the ball past him and into the net.
The Peruvians then delivered the coup de grace on the counter-attack as Guerrero fed Vargas, who trapped the ball, then drilled another fierce effort home past the despairing Martinez.
Argentina and Uruguay clash later Saturday in Santa Fe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!