PETA demands release of psychic ‘Octopus Paul’
Berlin: Animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is demanding the release of Paul, the psychic octopus, who has become a global star for his World Cup predictions.
PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said that they were urging people to sign an online petition demanding Paul’s release.
“No animal deserves to be confined to a tiny tank and we’re hoping that Paul’s popularity, or in Germany notoriety, will cause people to think a little bit more about the inner lives of octopuses,” Friedrich was quoted as saying.
The move comes after death threats from German fans, who have said that they want Paul fried or turned into a paella for betraying the country by correctly guessing Spain’s victory over Germany last week.
Paul, from Aquarium Sea Life Centre in Oberhausen, Germany, had predicted the outcome of all six of Germany’s matches by choosing to eat food from boxes adorned with the flags of Germany and its rivals.
Meanwhile, the eight-legged oracle has predicted that Spain will win the World Cup final, and Germany will emerge victorious in the battle for third place over Uruguay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best