Phelps wins 200m freestyle at Canada Cup
Montreal: American swimming star Michael Phelps easily won the 200 metre freestyle, finishing more than two seconds ahead of compatriot Matthew Patton at the Canada Cup swim event.
The 14-time Olympic gold medallist on Saturday clocked one minute, 47.46 seconds for the win with Patton finishing second at 1:49.87. Canada`s Ryan Cochrane was third in 1:50.08.
"I didn’t feel I really had it in the first 100," said Phelps. "Usually that part of the race is a bit smoother for me.”
"Speed has always been something easy for me to achieve and I?m also trying to get my endurance back. So this makes this a bit more challenging."
Competition ends Sunday in the Canada Cup which is a tune up for the World Championships in two weeks in Shanghai, China.
Phelps won a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and set seven world records, becoming the most decorated Olympic athlete in history.
In 2009, a British tabloid published a photo of Phelps using a marijuana pipe, resulting in a three-month suspension by USA Swimming.
Other winners in men`s competition included Scott Dickens of Canada in the 100 breaststroke and Matt Hawes of Canada in the 100 backstroke.
On the women`s side, Canada`s Katerine Savard won the 50-metre butterfly and compatriot Tera Van Beilen finished first in the 100 breaststroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation