Philipp Kohlschreiber wins Halle grasscourt title
Halle: Germany`s Philipp Kohlschreiber won the Halle grasscourt tournament for his third singles title of his career after countryman Philipp Petzschner retired with a back problem.
In the first all-German Halle final since the Wimbledon warm-up event started 19 years ago, the pair slugged it out in an exciting first set before the 27-year-old Petzschner retired, trailing 7-6, 2-0.
World number 49 Kohlschreiber, who beat holder Lleyton Hewitt in the last eight and world number eight Gael Monfils in the semi-finals, landed his first singles title since Auckland in 2008.
"It does not really feel like a title win," Kohlschreiber told reporters. "It is a bit of a shame given that we had a really good fight in the first set. Now it kind of feels strange."
Kohlschreiber, who has slipped down the rankings after a mediocre start to the season, clinched the opening set when world number 71 Petzschner sank a slice backhand into the net.
Petzschner, who won the Wimbledon doubles title last year, had medical treatment after the first set but started feeling more pain in his back early in the second set, pulling out after just two games to hand the title to his rival.
"At 5-5 in the first set I hurt something in my lower back. Then it started hurting more and more," said Petzschner.
"But me retiring should not take anything away from Philipp`s victory. He played a great tournament."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America