Philipp Kohlschreiber wins Halle grasscourt title
Halle: Germany`s Philipp Kohlschreiber won the Halle grasscourt tournament for his third singles title of his career after countryman Philipp Petzschner retired with a back problem.
In the first all-German Halle final since the Wimbledon warm-up event started 19 years ago, the pair slugged it out in an exciting first set before the 27-year-old Petzschner retired, trailing 7-6, 2-0.
World number 49 Kohlschreiber, who beat holder Lleyton Hewitt in the last eight and world number eight Gael Monfils in the semi-finals, landed his first singles title since Auckland in 2008.
"It does not really feel like a title win," Kohlschreiber told reporters. "It is a bit of a shame given that we had a really good fight in the first set. Now it kind of feels strange."
Kohlschreiber, who has slipped down the rankings after a mediocre start to the season, clinched the opening set when world number 71 Petzschner sank a slice backhand into the net.
Petzschner, who won the Wimbledon doubles title last year, had medical treatment after the first set but started feeling more pain in his back early in the second set, pulling out after just two games to hand the title to his rival.
"At 5-5 in the first set I hurt something in my lower back. Then it started hurting more and more," said Petzschner.
"But me retiring should not take anything away from Philipp`s victory. He played a great tournament."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed