Pitroda for 100 mn broadband connections in 3 yrs
Bangalore: Chairman of National Knowledge Commission Sam Pitroda on Saturday said the Commission has set a target of providing 100 million broadband connections in the next three years.
"We are targeting 100 million broadband connections in the next three years from the present six million at present", he said at a panel discussion on "Transforming India: Reaching the Bottom of the Pyramid", an initiative of C-DOT alumni as part of the silver jubilee celebrations here.
The Commission was optimistic about achieving the target as "the necessary infrastructure, fibre network is already in place apart from the political will," Pitroda said.
He highlighted the need for a "change in the mindset of
the government to bring about transformation and to take ICT
to those at the bottom of the pyramid ie the rural poor" and
emphasised on an urgency to do away with the government system
of filing and go in for electronic filing.
"We can play an important role in sensitising people
about it. Though it is a slow process, we need to plant the
seeds now", he said.
At the end of the day the challenge was how to improve
public delivery systems like health, education, financial
services and take them to the rural poor. ICT can play a
pivotal role in this, he said.
Along with e-governance, re-engineering of processes and
infrastructure development will be the key to societal
transformation, Pitroda said, also underlining the need to
"effectively use" ICT in education.
He also pointed to the need of "linking IT to cottage
industries like handicrafts".
He also called for a special focus on female literacy.
Pankaj Chandra, Director Indian Institute of Management,
Bangalore,drawing the attention to the migration of youth from
rural to semi-urban and urban areas and said "the poor who are
simply seen as consumers, should become suppliers. This
transformation is possible through education and
ICT can play a an important role in imparting vocational
education, he said.
While Madhu Yaskhi Goud, MP from Andhra Pradesh called for
use of technology to plug leakages in revenue earned by the
government and for programme implementation, Dr Vikram Akula,
founder,SKS microfinance, stressed the need to make financial
tools available to the rural poor through microfinance.
Former President A P J Abdul Kalam, launching India Think
Tank by C-DOT alumni on the occasion, exhorted the C-DOT
family "to come with up creative leaders for the success of
Pitroda also pointed to the need of "linking IT to
cottage industries like handicrafts".
He said the Think Tank must focus on promoting ICT as an
enabler "to provide prosperity to people at the bottom of the
pyramid, first in India and then in the rest of the world".
"From ICT, I would like the Think Tank to move on to
energy and then ocean which has more potential than may be
space", he said.
Art of Living Founder Sri Sri Ravishankar also spoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh