Planning Comm expects 7% growth despite monsoon shadow
New Delhi: The Planning Commission expects
the economic growth rate to marginally move up to 7 per cent
in the current fiscal despite the monsoon casting its shadow
on agricultural output.
"I think (economic growth during 2009-10)... between 6.5
and 7 per cent will be quite a good outcome," Planning
Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahuwalia told
Noting that the recent pick-up in the industrial sector
will have positive implications for growth in the current
fiscal, he said, "On the agriculture side, the news is less
good than what we hoped."
Replying to questions on the impact of the bad monsoon on
farm sector growth, Ahluwalia said, "There is still deficiency
in different parts of the country. It is too early to tell
its effect on the country as a whole ... but of course
individual states can have problems."
Noting that growth projections of various think tanks
vary between 6.7 and 7 per cent, while some indicating more
than 7 per cent economic expansion, he said that this would
not be bad under current circumstances.
Having grown by over 9 per cent in three consecutive
years, economic growth slipped to 6.7 per cent during 2008-09,
mainly on account of the impact of the global financial crisis
on the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview