`Plastic solar cells lifespan extended to 8 months`
Washington: Scientists in the US claim
to have extended the operating life of plastic solar cells --
from mere hours to eight months.
A team from the University of Alberta and the National
Institute for Nanotechnology has developed a longer lasting,
polymer coating for the electrode which are key to the goal of
a solar energy technology, extracting electricity from cell.
Prior to the polymer coating breakthrough, the plastic
solar cells could operate at high capacity for about ten hours
only, according to the scientists, led by David Rider.
When Rider and his team members presented their paper
to the `Advanced Functional Materials` journal, their plastic
solar cell had performed at high capacity for 500 hours. But,
it kept on working for another seven months.
The scientists claim that the unit eventually stopped
working when it`s damaged during transit between laboratories.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race