PM for national strategy to meet internal security challenges
Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee has asserted that the centre's offer to initiate a dialogue with militant groups in Jammu and Kashmir would by no means undermine its determination to fight terrorism. The PM advocated the formulation of a national strategy to meet challenges to internal security.
“Our initiative for a dialogue with anybody who is willing to sit across the table and eschew violence in J&K would by no means undermine our determination to fight terrorism”, Vajpayee told the first-ever conference of chief ministers on internal security in New Delhi. On the contrary, we will act with added resolve particularly in our effort to eliminate cross-border terrorism. There shall be no let up in our determined fight against those who seek to harm India's unity and integrity.
Charging Pakistan with adopting cross-border terrorism as an instrument of state policy to further its hostility towards India, Vajpayee said challenges to internal security should no
longer be seen as state-specific problem, but from a national perspective.
The changed nature, magnitude and dimension of the threat to our internal security necessitates that both the centre and the states pool their resources to formulate a national strategy and adopt effective tactics.
Responding to a plea by home minister L K Advani, the Prime Minister announced raising allocation of funds for modernisation of police forces from Rs 200 crore in the last financial year to Rs 1,000 crore annually.
Report : Zeenext Bureau
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed