PM for national strategy to meet internal security challenges
Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee has asserted that the centre's offer to initiate a dialogue with militant groups in Jammu and Kashmir would by no means undermine its determination to fight terrorism. The PM advocated the formulation of a national strategy to meet challenges to internal security.
“Our initiative for a dialogue with anybody who is willing to sit across the table and eschew violence in J&K would by no means undermine our determination to fight terrorism”, Vajpayee told the first-ever conference of chief ministers on internal security in New Delhi. On the contrary, we will act with added resolve particularly in our effort to eliminate cross-border terrorism. There shall be no let up in our determined fight against those who seek to harm India's unity and integrity.
Charging Pakistan with adopting cross-border terrorism as an instrument of state policy to further its hostility towards India, Vajpayee said challenges to internal security should no
longer be seen as state-specific problem, but from a national perspective.
The changed nature, magnitude and dimension of the threat to our internal security necessitates that both the centre and the states pool their resources to formulate a national strategy and adopt effective tactics.
Responding to a plea by home minister L K Advani, the Prime Minister announced raising allocation of funds for modernisation of police forces from Rs 200 crore in the last financial year to Rs 1,000 crore annually.
Report : Zeenext Bureau
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...