PM for national strategy to meet internal security challenges
Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee has asserted that the centre's offer to initiate a dialogue with militant groups in Jammu and Kashmir would by no means undermine its determination to fight terrorism. The PM advocated the formulation of a national strategy to meet challenges to internal security.
“Our initiative for a dialogue with anybody who is willing to sit across the table and eschew violence in J&K would by no means undermine our determination to fight terrorism”, Vajpayee told the first-ever conference of chief ministers on internal security in New Delhi. On the contrary, we will act with added resolve particularly in our effort to eliminate cross-border terrorism. There shall be no let up in our determined fight against those who seek to harm India's unity and integrity.
Charging Pakistan with adopting cross-border terrorism as an instrument of state policy to further its hostility towards India, Vajpayee said challenges to internal security should no
longer be seen as state-specific problem, but from a national perspective.
The changed nature, magnitude and dimension of the threat to our internal security necessitates that both the centre and the states pool their resources to formulate a national strategy and adopt effective tactics.
Responding to a plea by home minister L K Advani, the Prime Minister announced raising allocation of funds for modernisation of police forces from Rs 200 crore in the last financial year to Rs 1,000 crore annually.
Report : Zeenext Bureau
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened