PM seeks details about IPL controversy from BCCI
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has asked the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to explain the Lalit Modi-IPL controversy and the board’s general-secretary Rajiv Shukla is reportedly briefing him on the case.
Shukla had on Wednesday morning told reporters, “We maintain pride in the reputation of the BCCI and cricket. Strict measures would be taken against any anomalies in the functioning of the Indian Premier League.”
In the meanwhile, J & K politician and IPL working committee member Farooq Abdullah said that he was not Modi’s saviour in the saga but urged to hear his side of the story before punishing the guilty. “I’m not Modi’s saviour. Let him explain himself to the BCCI, even I want to know the truth”, he said.
Abdullah added, “If he (Lalit Modi) has done something wrong, he should go but we can’t hold him guilty without hearing his side of the story.”
Meanwhile, Salman Khursheed, has warned of strict government action if anyone is found offending the law pertaining to FEMA and sweat equity after I-T sleuths on Wednesday carried out raids at the offices of three companies related with the telecast rights of IPL.
A team of over 50 IT sleuths raided the premises of MSM Sports, World Sports Group and Pat Magnarella Management (PMM) in Bandra, Khar and Malad suburb of north-west Mumbai.
The raids are related to a "facilitation fee" of USD 80 million paid by MSM (formerly Sony Entertainment Television) to WSG, a source close to the development said.
Faced with the allegation, WSG had yesterday claimed that it had done no wrong and would take appropriate action to uphold its reputation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie