PM thanks East Asian nations for endorsing Nalanda Univ project
Cha-Am Hua Hin (Thailand): Describing it
as a matter of "deep satisfaction", Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on Sunday thanked East Asian countries for endorsing Nalanda
University project and said it will be a global institution of
"excellence in education."
"The EAS leaders` endorsement of the Nalanda
University project which is to be located in Bihar is a matter
of deep satisfaction," Singh said in his opening remarks at a
press conference here after attending the 4th East Asian
Summit and 7th ASEAN summit here.
"We intend to move forward with the next steps to
establish the Nalanda University as a centre of excellence in
education and international understanding," he said.
Singh had earlier said that this has been the product
of many months of hard work put in by the Nalanda Mentor
Group, and will be a "shining example of cooperative action in
the field of education."
Earlier, addressing the 7th India-ASEAN Summit, Singh
yesterday said, "We look forward to working closely with the
ASEAN and other countries of the East Asia Summit process to
establish the Nalanda University"
Nalanda university, which existed until 1197 AD in
Bihar and has been called one of the first great universities
in recorded history, attracted students and scholars from
Korea, Japan, China, Tibet, Indonesia, Iran and Turkey,
besides being a pedestal of higher education in India.
An 11-member Nalanda Mentor Group, headed by Nobel
laureate Amartya Sen, had been set up to oversee the opening
of Nalanda International University at Nalanda in Bihar.
The proposed Nalanda International University will be
fully residential, based on the ideal of ancient varsity once
In the first phase, seven schools with 46 foreign
faculty members and over 400 Indian academics will be
established. A renowned international scholar will be its
The faculties include information science and
technology, peace and Buddhism, international relationship,
history, language & literature, development & management and
ecology & environment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown