PM to present UPA-II report card Tuesday
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
will present to the people tomorrow a `report card` on the
performance of his government in the first year of its second
The `Report to the People` was originally scheduled to be
unveiled at a function on May 22, exactly a year after the
United Progressive Alliance-II returned to power.
However, the function was cancelled in view of the Air
India Express plane crash in Mangalore in which 158 people
The report card will list achievements of various
ministries and departments.
The document is likely to chronicle among other things the
Women`s Reservation Bill which has been passed in the Rajya
Congress president Sonia Gandhi is keen on securing its
passage in the Lok Sabha but the measure has been put on hold
in view of the stiff opposition by the Yadav trio - Mulayam
Singh Yadav, Lalu Prasad and Sharad Yadav - demanding quota
The Right to Education (RTE) Act that would directly
benefit at least one crore children is also expected to be
highlighted in the report.
On the foreign front, the government is expected to refer
to the dialogue process with Pakistan and India`s efforts to
cement ties with almost all its neighbours.
On the economic front, the report is expected to highlight
how the government weathered the global financial crisis and
the depression and managed to keep an impressive growth rate.
Since 2004, when Congress-led UPA assumed power after
ousting the BJP-led NDA, the government has been bringing out
annual reports on its performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning