PMO rejects Gadkari’s CWG allegations, calls them baseless
New Delhi: As the blame game continued between the two top political parties of India on the issue of corruption in the recently concluded Commonwealth Games, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) rejected BJP president Nitin Gadkari’s allegations that it was involved in wrong-doings.
Sources in PMO told Zee News that the facts and figures presented by the Opposition are factually incorrect.
PMO sources said Rs 70,000 crore was not spent on the games as was claimed by the BJP chief earlier today. At a special press conference here, BJP President Nitin
Gadkari targeted Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his entire
cabinet, alleging that the Prime Minister himself sanctioned
advances to Organising Committee head Suresh Kalmadi.
They clarified that money spent on other infrastructure like Metro Rail, flyovers etc. should not be included in the CWG expenditure as it was anyways supposed to be done for Delhi.
Clarifying the amount sanctioned by the government, the sources said, the Union Cabinet had cleared Rs 11687 crore for the games. Later, Rs 193 crore of additional money was also passed by the Cabinet but it is nowhere near the amount of Rs 70,000 crore.
Claiming to have documentary evidence, Gadkari said,
"The first advances released to Suresh Kalmadi were by the
Prime Minister. He has signed it. Why? and why was there no
control over it."
Gadkari demanded a Joint Parliamentary Committee
investigation into all aspects of the Games, especially the
role of the political leadership. He said the "concrete
evidence" collected by the BJP would be submitted to the JPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy